Welcome to my blog! I'll be updating fairly regularly with posts about voracious reading.

Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Beating of Mighty Wings

Maybe it's because I miss English classes or maybe because I simply don't want reading to be a solitary occupation anymore, but for some reason I'm driven to blog about books. Ones I've read or ones that are begging to be written, either way. I've been reading so much lately, charging through trash novel after trash novel and I think I've been hoarding all of these happy endings to combat my stress. I suppose that's okay for a while but it's time and past I was back to real, substantial books. Ones that make me think more than just "awwww" when I'm done. It's time and past I started writing again, not just stories but about stories. A dialogue, even if it's just between my fingers and my brain, about what I've just read.

I know where I'd like to go with this blog; I have lofty goals for it. I want to organize read-alongs and writers' discussions. I want to ask my favorite authors about their favorite books and why they love them so. First, though, I have to get started. (And get some followers, that might help.)

A friend from work has loaned me Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth and I've been neglecting it in favor of easier fare. It's probably also unfortunate timing due to the five boxes of books I just had shipped to myself from my parents' house. My goal now is to have it finished by the end of the month so I can go into NaNoWriMo suitably inspired. It's intriguing so far (and I'm not very far in yet) so I'm interested in seeing where it will go from here.

Wish me luck in finishing it--I have one week! And since my deadline is Halloween, I'll ask my first followers this question:

What's your favorite scary book or story?

I'll let you know mine on Tuesday!

-Bridget

--------------------------------------------

"'Good luck,' whispered the Angel Islington. There was a rushing sound, like a wind soughing across a lost forest, or the beating of mighty wings."
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

2 comments:

  1. The Shinning! Er...The Shining. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read Pillars of The Earth too!

    It wasn't scary, but I suppose it might be placed in that genre; Her Fearful Symmetry

    ReplyDelete