Welcome to my blog! I'll be updating fairly regularly with posts about voracious reading.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Infinitely Quotable

I've had this strange habit all my life of writing down the things that people say. I have three ring binders full of quotes from movies, songs, and books. There are pages in those binders full of quotes from family vacations and parties. There are even some pages in the Mall of America FranklinCovey store planner filled with strange things customers have said. It's always just been a compulsion of mine to keep track of things that touch me, inspire me, or make me laugh. My binders are somewhere in my parents' garage but I do have a number of books here (of course) and the delightful internet at my fingertips, so here are a few of my favorite quotes:

"To laugh often and much, to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded!" -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest." -Mark Twain

"The human race has one really effective weapon and that is laughter. Against the assault of laughter, nothing can stand." -Mark Twain

"A person with a new idea is a crank until that idea succeeds." -Mark Twain

"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." -Mark Twain

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -Mark Twain

"A cauliflower is just a cabbage with a college education." -Mark Twain

"They carried all the emotional baggage of men who might die. Grief, terror, love, longing--these were intangibles, but the intangibles had their own mass and specific gravity, they had tangible weight." -The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

"Stories are for those late hours in the night when you can't remember how you got from where you were to where you are." -The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

"I'll never be certain, of course, but I think he meant to bring me up against the realities, to guide me across the river and to take me to the edge and to stand a kind of vigil as I chose a life for myself." -The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

"If you don't care for obscenity, you don't care for the truth; if you don't care for the truth, watch how you vote." -The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

"And in the end, of course, a true war story is never about war. It's about sunlight. It's about the special way that dawn spreads out on a river when you know you must cross the river and march into the mountains and do things you are afraid to do. It's about love and memory. It's about sorrow. It's about sisters who never write back and people who never listen." -The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

"What stories can do, I guess, is make things present. I can look at things I never looked at. I can attach faces to grief and love and pity and God. I can be brave. I can make myself feel again." -The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

"All fire burns, little baby. You'll learn." -Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

"'Good luck,' whispered the Angel Islington. There was a rushing sound like a wind soughing across a lost forest, or the beating of mighty wings." -Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

"Each moment that I wait feels like a year, an eternity. Each moment is as slow and transparent as glass. Through each moment I can see infinite moments lined up, waiting. Why has he gone where I cannot follow?" -The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

"Sometimes he would rock her to sleep in his arms, and read her left to right, and know everything he needed to know about the world. If it wasn't written on her, it wasn't important to him." -Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer

"He would fall asleep with his heart at the foot of his bed, like some domesticated animal that was no part of him at all. And each morning he would wake with it again in the cupboard of his rib cage, having become a little heavier, a little weaker, but still pumping. And by midafternoon he was again overcome with the desire to be somewhere else, someone else, someone else somewhere else. I am not sad." -Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer

"Love itself became the object of her love. She loved herself in love, she loved loving love, as love loves loving, and was able, in that way, to reconcile herself with a world that fell so short of what she would have hoped for." -Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer

"She felt a total displacement, like a spinning globe brought to a sudden halt by the light touch of a finger. How did she end up here, like this? How could there have been so much--so many moments, so many people and things, so many razors and pillows, timepieces and subtle coffins--without her being aware? How did her life live itself without her?" -Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer

"He knew that I love you also means I love you more than anyone loves you, or has loved you, or will love you, and also, I love you in a way that no one loves you, or has loved you, or will love you, and also, I love you in a way that I love no one else, and never have loved anyone else, and never will love anyone else." -Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer

"God loves the plagiarist. And so it is written, 'God created humankind in His image, in the image of God He created them.' God is the original plagiarizer. With a lack of reasonable sources from which to filch--man created in the image of what? the animals?--the creation of man was an act of reflexive plagiarizing; God looted the mirror." -Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer

"Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody." -Mark Twain

"After all these years, I see that I was mistaken about Eve in the beginning; it is better to live outside the Garden with her than inside it without her." -"The Diary of Adam" by Mark Twain

"Wherever she was, there was Eden." -"The Diary of Adam" by Mark Twain

4 comments:

  1. The first quote mentioned by Emerson is also one of my favorites!
    I have a habit of doing the same thing. I have notebooks full of quotes. Last year I finally decided to create a decorated journal to keep them in. Do you scrap at all??
    I did a really cool Quote Circle Journal with two friends and it turned out simply amazing!! I will have to show you pics if you are interested!

    Here are a few of my favs

    "Is not general incivility the very essence of love?"-Pride and Prejudice-Jane Austen

    "In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you"-Pride and Prejudice-Jane Austen

    "If he loved you with all the powers of his puny being, he couldn't love as much in eighty years, as I could in a day"-Bronte-Wuthering Heights

    "I have not broken your heart-you have broekn it-and in breaking it you have broken mind"
    -Wuthering Heights

    "He is more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
    -Wuthering Heights

    "I was born when you kissed me. I died when you left me. I lived a few weeks while you loved me." -Humphrey Bogart

    "Do you know what this is? It is my heart and it's broken..Can you feel it?"
    -Great Expectations


    "What if you believed that everything in life was like a prize? What if you thought of the world as a big random drawing, and you were always winning things, the world offering them up with a big grin, like an emcee's: Here you go, Hollis. Here is a motorcycle. Here is a little boy who loves you. Here is a weird experience, here is something bad that you should mull over because it will make you a better person. What if you could think that life was this free vacation you'd won, and you won just because you happened to be alive?" -Dan Chaon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great!

    I do scrap and I'd love to see the pictures of your journal. That's actually a great idea and I hope you don't mind if I steal it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do this too. I have a moleskin in my purse just for this purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No prob! I will take some this weekend and email you. I'll tell you a little about the Circle Journal project:

    For the Circle Journal we had 9 themes each of us decided on as a group to complete. Each week we would meet for coffee and discuss/exchange our scrap pages. Theme for the following week was then drawn from a jar.
    The only downer was since it was a circle journal and three of us were involved we had to make 3 of the same page each time...so everyone had a copy of each others work. Time consuming but fun!
    Some of our themes were:
    Music
    Love
    Life
    Inspiration
    Quotes from a Book
    From a Movie
    etc..

    Number of quotes unlimited and depending on creater and you had to design your page as you see fit for the theme. We each went shopping and bought a scrap book to put our pages in and we each designed our own cover page. :)

    Now that we are done I am SO in love with my circle journal :) It was like a mini journey!

    ReplyDelete